How Can I Learn Effectively?
Being a great learner means developing selfawareness about the reason for study, the
learning process itself, and how education is used.
You need to be highly motivated, independent, and strive toward self-direction and autonomy. It is important to take the initiative to diagnose your learning needs, review the feedback teachers give you, devise clear goals, identify resources for learning, and review what you have done and how you did it.
Step 1: Make sure you know where you are heading and how you will get there.
Step 2: Be well organised and prepared for the learning journey you are taking.
Step 3: Research and carefully plan your work first before you start the final piece. Go deeper with your learning and master the topic so you thoroughly understand it.
Step 4: Demonstrate key behaviours for learning.
- Show commitment to your work.
- Be prepared to re-draft, to get things wrong, to try again.
- Have a go, be curious.
- Have a positive, can do attitude.
- Be proud of retaining facts, figures, names and knowledge.
- Put in lots of effort to be the best you can be.
- Communicate clearly by answering questions in class and working collaboratively with others, sharing, reviewing and developing your knowledge and skills.
- Review your performance and be clear on the next steps.
1. Find a regular time to study, get into a routine early. Learn to manage your time and not waste it both in school and at home.
2. Be an active reader – conscious effort to make links, understand opinion and learn
something new. Make notes, highlight text, underline key words etc.
3. Be a critical reader – SQ3R is a good strategy – Survey, Question, Read, Recall, Review.
4. Note-taking is important – use bulleted lists, mind maps, annotated diagrams, note cards, use mnemonics or acronyms etc.
5. Break your work up into manageable chunks, don’t try to do too
much. Plan a sequence of topics and review the previous topic before you continue with a new one.
Remember... You need Space – Quiet – Water – Rest – Fun.
Essential Preparation / Presentation to Learn
Pen (Blue or Black), Pencil, Sharpener, Ruler, Eraser, Highlighter, Scissors!
Well organised and neat books show pride in your work and a commitment to
your learning. It allows you to revise and extend your learning more effectively.